Sunday, September 30, 2012

New Location, New Skills

For this blog post I’d like to address my recent move to Portland, OR from Orlando, FL and the simple differences and similarities of the recording industry, from an engineer’s perspective.  While in school I opened my own recording studio to gain experience, apply knowledge, network with up and coming musicians, and possibly make a little coin while doing so.  Hearing good things about the Pacific Northwest, a couple friends and I decided to venture out here and get away from the hot, humid, and over-saturated music scene in Orlando.

Upon arriving in Portland, I hit the ground running by knocking on every studio’s door trying to slide my foot in.  Only a few were even willing to answer the call, and a mere two of those actually opened it.  I’ve found out from discussing with these two studios, one fairly major and another similar to the caliber of mine in Florida, that here in Portland recording engineers are only hired on a freelance basis.  First let me say that I have no desire to start my own business again, it requires too much capital and patience, of which I have neither in my life currently.  That being said, I am trying to get hired as an engineer by a studio in town.  But, the only way to get compensated from these places is by bringing in your own artists…
So here comes the multitasking role that I am being forced into playing, or at least this is a summary of what I am anticipating.  I feel that as an engineer that has to go out and scout talent, most likely assist in the song-writing process, motivate the artist to “work” and somehow acquire the finances to pay for their studio time and me that I will have to be some sort of producer/A&R/management/technician super engineer.  Now, it isn’t like I hadn’t had to do this with certain bands in Orlando, but having the studio advertised I could sit back, relax and focus on doing the job I enjoy.
Luckily, one of the studios has welcomed me in to run some sessions and possibly begin working there.  I just have to find some bands on my own to earn my keep in this town.

0 comments:

Post a Comment