I have always had a passion for recording music, and just recently have I been able to create and build my very own recording studio. Even more recent than that is my new interest in preserving the earth that we take for granted. After many readings of Richard Branson and his efforts to reduce the carbon footprint of his businesses, I’ve decided to see what can be done with my own. Now, I don’t run an airline, so the impact isn’t quite as substantial, but that doesn’t mean I have to be complacent. While starting my research, I did however come across Manifold Recording, a completely carbon neutral high-end professional recording studio. WOW! This place is gorgeous and technologically a dream for me.
I read a little more into their facility, only after gawking at the photos of course, and discovered the organization and execution of the plans of Michael Tiemann. He set out to have a full-fledged recording facility that would leave zero carbon footprints and executed nicely. I thought I was doing a good thing by putting all of my gear on power conditioners to turn everything on and off with the ease of one switch to conserve power, and by also putting LED lighting in the tracking rooms which are beneficial in 2 ways: they are quieter and conserve lots of power. But, Michael has his calculations down pact with the number trees on his property to the all-digital console ad exactly how much it will offset the CO2 emissions in his region.
Designed by Wes Lachot and exemplifying Frank Lloyd Wright’s Organic Architecture, Manifold Studios use nature as the basis for their design, and they use it well. Their design is beautiful, inspirational and practical to so many extremes. They managed to include 2 independent studios on a single property that are linked together to be used as a single unit when necessary. They wanted to keep the focus on the music and keep the integrity of the art of recording. I highly suggest checking out their website and dropping by if you’re ever in the Chapel Hill, North Carolina area. Or, you can join a discussion thread about his facility: Forum


0 comments:
Post a Comment